Friday, May 22, 2009

ready ready ready, ready to run.


Here it goes. I've had this on my heart for a week now but haven't had the discipline to sit down and write it out. Probably because I am still figuring it out. And will be for a long time. But the concept is so amazing. And I can't wait to fully grasp hold of it.

Last year I completed a half marathon. I say completed instead of ran, because the running part was so minuscule. In college they offered a class called "walk, jog, run." Well my 13.1 experience was more like run, jog, walk...walk, walk... ok, last ten feet, run!

Since then, I've gained back all the weight I lost. Frustrating? Yes it is. Thanks for asking.

I've tried to do this and to do that to lose the weight, but to no avail. A few weeks ago I was talking to a girl at church and she said they will be running in a h/m in December for St. Judes in Memphis and I should consider joining them in training.

Ha. Right. Not going to subject myself to that again.

Except I am.

They will start training in September, and I really need to start training to train. It's that bad people. So, I've put my running shoes back on. Last week I started walking 1/2 mile, running 1/2 mile, walking, then running again to complete a two mile stretch. It felt so great.

While I was running, I was listening to Justin Rizzo on my iPod. I was listening to the words "His glory will cover the earth" and taking in the beautiful sunset. This is when it all became so real to me.

Life progresses in forward motion. You can't go back. I will never be 25 again, my children will never be newborns again. When I was in the midst of the h/m, what would the point have been in going backwards? What would the point have been if I had stopped and sat for a few weeks? I kept going. Yeah I didn't run it with fervor, but I kept going.

I kept going.

Life. Hello?


I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4:7


It makes so much sense to me. Does it to you?

So, yes, my running shoes are back on. To hopefully complete another h/m, but more importantly with the realization that life is a marathon. You reach mile markers, you rejoice, you hurt, you go through pain, but you continue. You keep moving forward.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love you even MORE for posting this! :o) Thanks Chelle!