Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Eww Mommy, blood!

It is 0900 here in the South on a cool, rainy day. T-Pup crawled into our bed around 4 this morning, thus sending me to the couch. I must confess when I walked into our bedroom at 8:30, it was dark and cool and you could hear the rain hitting the windows... I was slightly envious it was him that was still sleeping and not me.

Yesterday while I was making his breakfast he said to me "Momma, do you know I like to drink maple syrup out of the refrigerator when you're not looking?"

Hmm... that explains the excess bouncing the last several days...

Later we were reading in the Bible. We have the Big Picture Story Bible and really enjoy it. T-Pup loves for us to read the Easter story...over and over again. Last year I thought "I really wish we could read something else"but then got convicted... what better to read over and over again besides the story of Jesus rising from the dead?! As our Bible says, He is our forever king.

I continued reading yesterday about when God's people come to understand.



Jesus opened up God's holy book
that had been written long ago.
He started with the books of Moses
and then the Prophets and the Psalms.
He showed them everything
that was written there about him.


So then we get to the next page...

In it were many word pictures that proved
he must die to pay the penalty for sin.

"Mommy! What is that? Why is there blood?" Well bud...

Wow. I studdered through it somehow, but how do you explain the blood of the lamb as atonement for sins to a 4 year old? I eventually said "Jesus' blood covers all of the things we do wrong" but was quickly interrupted with "But I don't like blood!" I hope it wasn't a cop-out, but I told him I knew it was hard to understand now, but one day it would make more sense.

The fact is, it's still a wonderful mystery to me.

What can wash away my sins? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
What can make me whole again? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
Oh precious is the flow, that makes me white as snow.
No other fount I know, nothing but the blood of Jesus.

I pray it will always be a wonderful mystery to T-Pup, too.


3 comments:

Amanda Kaye said...

This is a sweet story- it does seem so hard to understand even to adults much less children. One of my 4 yr old mission friends said last summer that if everyone would just be good Jesus would not have to die on the cross. It was a hard conversation to have to. What do you say except lead her to salvation quick and true Lord!

Julie said...

Subsitute the word blood with 'sacrifice' in the song.

Enjoyed visiting your blog.
Julie
www.ridingaside.blogspot.com

Stephanie Trapp said...

I sometimes struggle, too, trying to explain some of those truths to Lillie Kate. Dr. Bruce Ware, one of the professors at Southern Seminary, recently wrote a book called Big Truths for Young Hearts. I've heard wonderful things about it but haven't read it myself. I did look through a couple of pages and our kiddos might still be a bit too young for it but maybe it would be a great resource in a few years.