Friday, April 17, 2009

Of Polar bears and donkeys.

This past weekend we were graced by the presence of Mr. Marine. It was the first time he had visited since his homecoming last October. We had a great time. I paraded him around like the big proud sister should parade little brother around. He said at one point "I'm getting the idea you're proud of what I do" and I responded "not of what you do, but of who you are." Ok, I wasn't even looking for a revelation Lord, but wow, that's good. He loves us for who we are. I know this, but in that moment and even now it seems so much more real.

Mr. Marine is 6'3" and weighs somehwhere over 200lbs. Not an ounce of fat on his body, but all muscle. He was like T-Pup and Sam's own personal playground. They climbed and jumped and hooped and hollered. T-Pup rode his leg like a bull, but somewhere in the weekend the bull became a donkey. It was really funny, and I added the video of it on FB. Honestly though I don't think I've ever seen anyone bucked off a donkey.

Someone sent me a recipe for cookies to go along with the Easter story. You make the cookies Saturday night, and each step chornicles an event that Jesus went through. For example, you let the child crush the pecans then talk about how Jesus was beaten and bruised. You let the child smell the vinegar, then share how Jesus drank some on the cross. You allow them to taste the sugar, and then tell how sweet it was of Jesus to die for us. When it came time to put the cookies in the oven, you talk about the tomb. Well T-Pup asked what a tomb was, and for whatever reason the word "cave" escaped me, so I told him it was a big hole in the side of a mountain. After a few minutes, T-Pup says "momma, were there polar bears in Jesus' tomb?" and I look at W like "what in the world?!" (said it with my eyes, not my mouth :) ) and said "T-Pup why would you think that bud?" and he replied "you know, because polar bears live by holes in big snowy mountains!" Touche my son, touche. I see why you could think there were polar bears in Jesus' tomb.

Easter was wonderful and busy and full of great memories.

I mentioned to W a few weeks ago that I wanted us to get T-Pup this Bible. He ordered it for us and we've been reading in it since. Each day this week at either lunch or breakfast we've sat down and read it while we've been eating. Each day we have read the Easter story over and over again. Part of me is like "Hey bud, let's read another story" but then I think if he wants to read a story over and over again, this IS the one to read. He said yesterday "Momma, why is Pilate wearing a towel?" and so I explained it was a tunic, which is like a shirt, which looks like a towel. He then asked me if Pilate had a helicopter or airplane. We then broke down the difference betweeen Pilate and a pilot.

No one ever told me my children would be so literal! I love it though.

It is a beautiful spring day outside so we are going to go enjoy it now. Hope y'all have a blessed weekend!


No comments: